Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Rachel's ministry update



Back in April (it seems like so long ago now) I shared our daughter's move to Costa Rica to carry out independent ministry. Now, after two months in country, Rachel reports that ministry opportunities are multiplying to the point that she has to pray about which to accept. One of the reasons for this is that a surprising number of North American missionaries in Costa Rica don't speak Spanish and therefore welcome her help in their ministries.

At this time Rachel is scheduled for 4 days a week working in a feeding centre and teaching children in an orphanage. In addition to that she will be interpreting for a short term mission tour group which is being hosted by one of her missionary contacts.

An established missionary, Keith Britton, has this to say about Rachel on his blog at http://keithbritton.blogspot.com/ (the caps are his):

THIS PAST MONTH I WELCOMED A NEW MEMBER TO GOD IN ACTION MINISTRY, “RACHEL GARBER“.SHE COMES TO US FROM “HIGHLAND MENNONITE BRETHREN CHURCH” IN CALGERY ALBERTO, CANADA. TO SAY SHE IS JUST A BLESSING WOULD BE AN UNDERESTIMATE. SHE IS A WONDERFUL BLESSING THAT GOD INSPIRED TO COME HERE TO BE ON MISSION WITH HIM IN COSTA RICA TO HELP HELP THE CHILDREN AND FAMILIES THAT LIVE IN POVERTY OR WITHOUT PARENTS TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HIS LOVE AND MERCY AND GRACE THROUGH CHRIST JESUS.

WHAT IS REALLY COOL, IS THAT SHE ALREADY SPEAKS SPANISH AND HAS ALREADY BEEN TRANSLATING FOR ME. (I CAN SPEAK OK, BUT HAVE A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING SPANISH). AS OF NOW, SHE WILL BE HELPING AT LOS QUIZAROS (WERE WE FEED THE CHILDREN) EVERY SATURDAY AND TEACHING ENGLISH AT AN ORPHANAGE UP THE ROAD FROM MY CENTER IN CORONADO ON MONDAY AND TUESDAYS. SHE CAN ALSO HELP ME ADMINISTRATIVELY, RACHEL HAS OPENED HER HEART TO SERVE GOD WHEREVER HE IS.

SHE IS AN INDEPENDENT MISSIONARY LIKE MY SELF, …PLEASE WELCOME HER TO GOD IN ACTION MINISTRY ON MISSIONS IN COSTA RICA.

7 comments:

  1. That is fantastic news! I'm so glad to hear it. You must be thankful, proud and relieved that she's doing so well.

    (BTW, you raised my curiosity, and I hope you don't mind my asking if are you Mennonites? We have a good sized Mennonite population around here, but they are clearly recognizable [well, the women mainly] by their garb. You all don't look like the Mennonites I'm used to.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are quite proud of Rachel. She continues a tradition of missionary service in our family which thanks to her decision is now in its fourth generation. The neat thing about it though is that she came to this calling all on her own without any suggestion from us or even without knowing much about this family background. It's interesting to see how God's work has a continuity through the generations.

    Yes, we are Mennonites, but more the invisible kind. Mennonite Brethren to be precise, which is theologically like Baptist with nonresistance thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! (Referring to Rachel)

    It's also great how the internet is bringing together Christians of various denominations around the core message of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I had no idea there was more than one branch of Mennonites. The ones here are very isolationist, and not missionary minded - as far as I can tell. Anyway, what is "nonresistance"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not just the internet. I think believers everywhere are finding that what they have in common in Jesus is much more important than what divides them. It's as if the difference between light and darkness is becoming much more apparent in the world now and that increased challenge is drawing believers back to basics and closer to each other.

    Nonresistance is the traditional Mennonite belief that believers are called to follow Jesus' teaching not to resist or retaliate against evil with violence. The state does have that role but that is not part of the Christian calling. But "as He is, so are we in this world".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I didn't really realize there was a name for that position, which is fairly close to my own (although I would certainly defend myself or my children from rapists, etc.) Out of curiosity, what is your position regarding Christians in positions of authority wielding the sword, ie: police, soldiers, and the like? I do hope you'll not misread my curiosity. It really is just that. I like to understand people's views and why they hold them. Paul was raised a Quaker. His father was a conscientious objector during Vietnam and taking that stand made his life a living hell for a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there can be a place for Christians in the police or the military in the sense that it is not a sin per se, but some roles lend themselves more to the expression of Christian witness than others.

    I don't have so much trouble with the police - that is the force that protects our children from the proverbial rapist. However I don't think I could serve in the army in good conscience - not that I look down on beliervers who do - but so much war is the clash of impersonal forces in which your place of birth determines which side you're on that I would say let the world take care of its own. It's better for the believer not to be involved unless it's in something like the medical corps.

    It's not that there is no place for the sword in God's economy, but in the world of the New Testament church it was a role filled entirely by pagans. Christians were not called then to be ministers of the wrath of God or of the judgment of God, but to be ministers of His grace, and I think it is the same now. It's better for us to stay out of it if we can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing that with me. Now I can chew on it. I know there were early Christians who were soldiers, but it may well be that they were not there by preference or free choice but in mandatory service. I don't know. I don't have a strong opinion on the matter, but do tend to feel that Christians should not seek out such positions - though, like you, I see the police as a more appropriate and legitimate place for a Christian than the military. I also know, however, that police work can be very difficult on a Christian and that the law enforcement culture hardly lends itself to Christian values. (My former husband was in that line of work so I know quite a lot about the cop sub-culture.)

    Again, thanks for taking the time to explain your position.

    ReplyDelete